Chart depicting the primary relationships affected by the eight directions
The Northwest of your house is associated with the Moon. This direction offers perception and clear transmission of ideas, and affects our intellectual capabilities.
- If there is a missing segment here or insufficient open space, it may cause lack of productive and heartfelt exchanges between family members.
- This Vastu imbalance can manifest as mental instability and mood swings. An elongated or extended Northwest is shown to reflect fear of being cheated or abused – or even imagined difficulties that aren’t really there. Psychosomatic symptoms may manifest.
- If the air element is being prevented from circulating through the whole room, apartment, house or office, by a blocked or heavy Northwest it reflects as emotional disturbances, fickleness and even addictions.
- The Northwest direction must be kept light, clear and support a flow of activity and movement in order to improve our loving relationships. This is conducive for productive exchanges for healthy relationships, bringing mental peace, love and sanity.
Center of House
- A cluttered centre, or no open space in this part of house can cause anxiety and restlessness with lack of peace of mind within ourselves.
- A toilet, kitchen and underground water tank in the centre of house may cause disagreements.
- In times gone by, the innermost part of your space was reserved for close family members as it is the sanctity of your home.
- An open and clear centre area becomes a good receptacle of energy flow from the eight directions, as well as providing easy access to all parts of the house and all parts of our being.
- Ideally a skylight window placed here would brighten your whole space and lift your spirits for positive moods.
- While present day architecture does not design homes with open courtyards in the centre, to allow the light directly into the house, in India you can still see many homes and all temples with this aspect.
The Southeast of Your home
The Southeast of your house is associated with the planet Venus. this area contributes to the lively as well as romantic aspects of your relationships. The energy for fun, joy, laughter and other recreational activities can be generated here. This space allows us to enjoy and appreciate the beauty within each other, as well as all the beautiful things in life
- Avoid water elements in the Southeast, as the presiding fire (Agni) element here is not compatible with it.
- A missing segment in this corner can cause your relationships to become drained as energy levels become low, leaving you depleted and exhausted.
- An extended Southeast can bring too much fire element and things can get pretty ‘heated’ and intense, and you may find yourself arguing over unnecessary trifles and flaring up for no apparent reason.
- A master bedroom is not recommended in the Southeast since quarrels and tension can arise
- A balanced Southeast can bring a healthy, controllable, and balanced sexuality. An image, photograph or artwork depicting love, romance and all things associated with creative and beautiful Venus are positive Vastu traits.
- Anything in excess can become spoiled after some time and lose it’s magic. Coming together with your partner at special times for intimacy is something that can be cherished and not taken for granted
Harmonise your relationships
If for structural or practical reasons, your space is lacking in any one of the above positive Vastu traits, then fear not – help is at hand.
- You can place the associated yantras for the eight directions, especially the Northwest, Southeast and Centre.
- The Meru Chakra and Vastu Pyramid are the most powerful correctional tools in vastu that can easily harmonise your space.
- You can begin the process of transforming your relationships into healthy and happy ones with the honest acknowledgement of our limitations and difficulties. You can turn to a power greater than ourselves, for tangible resolutions.